45 g (1 1/2 oz) butter or margarine
1 large onion, finely chopped
60 g (2 oz) flour
420 ml (3/4 pint) chicken stock
1 bay leaf
1 sprig thyme
Salt and pepper
225 g (8 oz) Stilton cheese, crumbled
420 ml (3/4 pint) milk
4 tbsps double cream
4 tbsps chopped walnuts
1. Put the butter or margarine and the onion into a large bowl and cover loosely with cling film, pierced several times.
2. Cook for 6 minutes on HIGH, stirring occasionally Stir in the flour, add the stock gradually and mix well.
3. Add the bay leaf, thyme and salt and pepper and cook, uncovered, for 10 minutes on HIGH.
4. Remove the herbs and crumble the cheese into the soup. Add the milk and stir to mix well.
5. Cook for 1 minute on HIGH, uncovered.
6. Stir in the cream and cook for a further 1 minute on HIGH. Serve garnished with the chopped walnuts.