Three kinds of ground pepper make this stuffing quite spicy. Cut down the amount a bit, if liked.
4 whole trout, about 225 g (8 oz) each
120 g (4 oz) butter or margarine
1 onion, finely chopped
2 sticks celery, finely chopped
1 small red pepper, seeded and finely chopped
4 spring onions, finey chopped
1 clove garlic, crushed
10 ml (2 tsps) chopped parsley
5 ml (1 tsp) chopped fresh dill
1.25 ml (1/4 tsp) white pepper
1.25 ml (1/4 tsp) cayenne pepper
1.25 ml (1/4 tsp) black pepper
120 g (4 oz) dry breadcrumbs
2 small eggs, lightly beaten
1. Wash the trout well inside and pat dry.
2. Melt half the butter or margarine in a medium saucepan. Add onions, celery, red pepper, spring onions and garlic. Cook over a moderate heat for about 3 minutes to soften the vegetables. Stir in the white pepper, cayenne pepper and black pepper, dill and parsley.
3. Remove from the heat, add the breadcrumbs and gradually beat in the egg, adding just enough to hold the stuffing ingredients together. Season with salt.
4. Stuff the cavity of each trout with an equal amount of the stuffing and place the trout in a baking dish.
5. Spoon over the remaining butter and bake, uncovered, in a pre-heated 180°C (350°F) Gas Mark 4 oven for about 25 minutes. Brown under a pre-heated grill before serving, if desired.
51 people have helped to review this recipe. Thankyou!