4 oz (110 g) butter or dairy-free margarine
3 oz (85 g) Muscovado sugar
4 oz (110 g) wholemeal rye flour lightly sifted
4 oz (110 g) wholemeal barley flour
2 rounded dessertspoons carob powder
1 teaspoon baking powder
2 - 4 tablespoons water or apple juice
1/4 pint (140 ml) whipped cream (optional)
4 oz (110 g) black cherries
4 oz (110 g) carob chocolate or chocolate flake (optional)
1. Cream the butter and sugar.
2. Mix together the flours, carob powder and baking powder, and add alternately with the eggs.
3. Finally add the water or apple juice.
4. Divide between two small flan tins and bake at 350°F (180°C) gas mark 4 for about 30 minutes.
5. Turn on to a wire rack and allow to cool.
6. Slit each cake in half and sandwich the 4 layers together with a mixture of black cherries and whipped cream.
7. Cover the top and sides of the cake with more whipped cream and decorate with crumbled carob chocolate or chocolate flake (optional) and whole cherries.
1 person has helped to review this recipe. Thankyou!