1. Preheat the oven to 325°F (170°C) mark 3.
2. Peel the potatoes, cut into fairly thin slices, dropping them into a large bowl of cold water as you do so.
3. If you use very tender, young artichokes , cut each artichoke heart lengthwise in quarters, cut each quarter lengthwise in half. Drop into a large bowl of cold water acidulated with the lemon juice as you prepare them to prevent discoloration.
4. If using larger, less tender varieties of artichoke, use 10, strip off all the leaves and remove the choke from the bottom. Drain the vegetables and spread out evenly in a large, shallow ovenproof dish.
5. Season with salt and pepper; sprinkle with 4 tbsp olive oil, the crushed garlic and 9 fl oz (250 ml) boiling water. Cook for 1 hour or until tender.
6. Alternatively, saute the vegetables in the oil with the garlic in a large frying pan for about 8 minutes, then add the other ingredients, including the water, cover, reduce the heat and simmer for about 20 minutes, adding a little more hot water as required.