1 gammon on the bone, weighing about 4.5 kg
4 bay leaves
1 tbsp black peppercorns
454 g jar redcurrant jelly
150 ml port
175 g dried breadcrumbs
1. Place the gammon in a large pan with the bay leaves, peppercorns and onion studded with cloves. Cover with cold water, bring to the boil and skim the surface.
2. Simmer for about 3 1/2 hours, allowing 20 minutes per 500 g plus 20 minutes over.
3. Leave to cool in the cooking liquid.
4. Meanwhile prepare the sauce. Peel the rind thinly from the oranges and lemons and cut into fine shreds.
5. Cover with cold water, bring to the boil and boil for 2 minutes; drain.
6. Squeeze the juice from the fruit, place in a pan with the redcurrant jelly and heat gently stirring until the jelly melts. Simmer for 5 minutes, then add the port and shredded rind. Leave to cool.
7. Remove the skin from the gammon and press the breadcrumbs into the fat.
8. Carve and arrange on a serving platter. Garnish with orange twists and watercress. Serve with the sauce.