serves 4 - 6
3 Tbsp (40 g) butter
1 onion, chopped
3 tbls (25 g) 1 oz flour
1 1/4 cup (300 ml) 1/2 pint chicken stock or milk
salt and pepper
8 oz (225 g) cooked turkey meat, chopped
4 oz (100 g) cooked ham, chopped
4 to 6 pickled walnuts, roughly chopped, or 2 tablespoons capers
350 g (12 oz) puff pastry
beaten egg or milk to glaze
1. Melt the butter in a saucepan and fry the onion until softened.
2. Add the flour and cook, stirring, for 2 minutes.
3. Gradually stir in the stock or milk and bring to the boil, stirring.
4. Add salt, pepper, the turkey, ham and walnuts or capers and mix well. Cool.
5. Roll out the pastry to a 30 cm (12 inch) square and cut in half.
6. Place one half on a dampened baking sheet. Spread over the turkey mixture, leaving a 2.5 cm (1 inch) border all around.
7. Roll out the other piece of dough until it is 30 x 18 cm (12 x 7 inches), then fold in half lengthways.
8. Leaving a 5 cm (2 inch) margin at each end and 2.5 cm (1 inch) at the cut side, make horizontal cuts into the fold at 2 cm (3/4 inch) intervals.
9. Dampen the pastry margin, then place it carefully over the turkey filling, unfolding it to enclose the filling.
10. Press the edges together, knock together and crimp.
11. Brush with egg or milk and bake in a preheated hot oven 220°C (425°F) Gas Mark 7 for 20 minutes.
12. Reduce the temperature to moderately hot 190°C (375°F) Gas Mark 5 and bake for a further 10 to 15 minutes or until the pastry is golden brown. Serve hot or cold.
1 person has helped to review this recipe. Thankyou!