makes 12 slices
3 oz (75 g) margarine
1/2 cup (100 g) 4 oz light muscovado sugar
3 eggs, beaten
1 cup (150 g) 5 oz plain wholemeal flour
1 cup (100 g) 4 oz self raising (self rising) flour
7.5 ml (1 1/2 tsp) baking powder
2 green eating apples, peeled, cored and grated
3/8 cup (75 g) 3 oz ready-to-eat dried apricots, rinsed and chopped
finely grated rind of 1 small orange
2 tbsp (30 ml) orange juice
low-fat soft cheese, to serve
1. Lightly grease the base and sides of a 900 g (2 lb) loaf tin and line with greaseproof paper.
2. Cream the margarine and sugar together until soft. Gradually, add the eggs and beat.
3. Stir in the flours and baking powder and mix well until combined.
4. Add the grated apples, chopped apricots, orange rind and enough orange juice to give the mixture a soft dropping consistency.
5. Turn the mixture into the prepared tin and level the surface.
6. Bake at 190°C (375°F) mark 5 for 45 minutes, then cover with foil to prevent the cake over-browning.
7. Continue baking for a further 30 minutes, until well risen, golden brown and cooked through.
8. Cool on a wire rack. Serve sliced and spread with low-fat soft cheese.
15 people have helped to review this recipe. Thankyou!