4 medium potatoes, sliced
2 apples, sliced salt and freshly ground black pepper
4-6 chicken joints
1/2 stick (2 oz) 50 g butter or margarine
1 large onion, sliced
14 oz (400 g) can chopped tomatoes
1 tsp brown sugar
1 tsp mustard
1 tbsp plain flour (All purpose)
1. Preheat the oven to 350°F (180°C) Gas Mk 4.
2. Place the potatoes in a buttered casserole, season lightly and cover with apples.
3. Season the chicken, heat the fat in a heavy saucepan, and fry the chicken until lightly browned all over.
4. Remove from the pan.
5. Add the onion and brown lightly, then add the tomatoes, sugar, mustard and flour and heat gently, stirring.
6. Pour over the apples. Place the chicken pieces on top, cover and cook for about 1 1/2 hours or until tender.