6 cooking (tart) apples
1/4 cup (45 g) Demerara (raw) sugar
filling (see below)
75 ml water
for the filling
1/4 cup (50 g) 2 oz Barbados (brown) sugar
1/2 stick (4 Tbsp) 50 g butter
blackcurrant, raspberry, strawberry or apricot jam, as desired
75 g stoned (seeded) dates, sultanas (golden raisins), raisins or currants
1/4 cup (50 g) 2 oz soft light brown sugar
1 tsp ground cinnamon
1. Wash and core the apples. Cut round the skin of each apple with the tip of a sharp knife two-thirds of the way up from the base.
2. Put into an ovenproof dish, and fill the centres with the chosen filling.
3. Sprinkle the Demerara sugar on top of the apples and pour the water round them.
4. Bake in a moderate oven at 180°C, Gas 4, for 45 - 60 minutes, depending on the cooking quality and size of the apples.
5. Serve with pouring cup custard, ice cream or with whipped cream, sweetened and flavoured with brandy.
to make the filling
1. Mix together the barbados or other raw sugar with the butter.
2. Use blackcurrant, raspberry, strawberry or apricot jam, or marmalade.
3. Chop 75g stoned dates, sultanas, raisins or currants.
4. Mix together 50g soft light brown sugar and 1 tsp ground cinnamon.