1. Combine cornflour, water, butter, lemon rind and juice and 1/2 cup caster sugar in a saucepan.
2. Whisk over a moderate heat until boiling, whisk a further 2 to 3 minutes. Cool slightly.
3. Beat in egg yolks and pour into pastry case.
4. Whisk egg whites until stiff. Add 1/4 cup caster sugar and whisk until stiff again.
5. Gently fold in the remaining sugar.
6. Pile meringue over lemon mixture making sure it comes right down to the pastry all round.
7. Bake in a slow oven 150-160° C (300-325°F) for about 30 minutes until meringue is golden.
rich short crust pastry case
2 cups plain flour
125 g (4 oz) butter
1 tablespoon caster sugar
1 egg yolk
2 teaspoons lemon juice 2 tablespoons cold water
1. Sift flour and salt into a mixing bowl.
2. Add butter and rub lightly into flour with the fingertips.
3. When mixture resembles fine breadcrumbs, stir in sugar and make a well in the centre.
4. Add egg yolk, lemon juice and enough cold water to mix to a slightly crumbly stiff dough.
5. Knead lightly, cover with clear plastic and chill for at least an hour before using.
to make a cooked pastry case
1. Roll out pastry on a lightly floured board and line a 20 or 23 cm (8 or 9 inch) flan ring or pie plate.
2. Trim edges and prick base with a fork.
3. Line inside with a circle of greased greaseproof paper and fill with dried beans or peas.
4. Bake in the middle shelf of a moderately hot oven 190-200°C (375-400°F) for 15 to 20 minutes.
5. Remove paper and beans. Return to oven for a further 10 minutes or until golden brown