serves 6 - 8
1.5 kg (3 lb) ham
450 ml (3/4 pt) chicken stock
grated lemon rind
225 g (8 oz) carrots, sliced
2 large onions, sliced
100 g (4 oz) button mushrooms
30 g (2 tbsp) cornflour
30 ml (2 tbsp) water
300 ml (1/2 pt) sour cream
1. Put the ham into a large pan with water to cover. Bring to the boil and then reduce the heat, cover and simmer for 45 minutes.
2. Pour off the cooking liquid (reserve it to use as stock for a lentil soup) .
3. Remove the skin from the ham and return it to the pan with the stock, lemon rind, bay leaf, carrots, and onions.
4. Bring to the boil and then cover and simmer for a further 45 minutes. Add the mushrooms, whole.
5. Mix the cornflour with the water and stir in the sour cream.
6. Add to the pan and stir in well. Add some pepper (it shouldn't need any salt), cover and simmer for 20 minutes.
7. Slice the ham and serve it with the sauce spooned over.