1. Drain mandarins, reserving syrup.
2. Make syrup up to 1 3/4 cups with water, heat and dissolve jelly crystals in the liquid.
3. Pour half the jelly mixture into a 3 to 4 cup mould and place in the freezer to set.
4. Beat the softened cream cheese until smooth.
5. Chop most of the mandarins, reserving a few for decoration.
6. Add chopped mandarins to the cream cheese.
7. Dissolve gelatine in the hot water and cool, then add to the cream cheese, beating thoroughly.
8. Pour half the cream cheese mixture onto the set jelly and set as before.
9. Repeat the two layers again with remaining jelly and cream cheese mixture, placing mould in refrigerator for final setting.
10. When ready to serve, dip quickly in hot water and invert on a serving plate.
11. Decorate with whipped cream and remaining mandarin segments.