1 lb (450 g) skirt beef
8 oz (225 g) beef kidney
3 tbsp (25 g) flour
2 tablespoons oil
1 large onion, chopped
1 1/4 cups (10 fl oz) 300 ml beef stock
salt and freshly ground black pepper
3 cup (225 g) mushrooms, sliced
7 1/2 oz (212 g) packet of puff pastry, thawed
1. Cut the steak and kidney into 1 inch (2.5 cm) cubes, put them in a polythene bag with the flour and toss until well coated.
2. Melt the oil in a saucepan, add the meat and onion and fry until browned. Stir in stock and bring to the boil, stirring constantly. Season with salt and freshly ground pepper.
3. Partially cover the pan and simmer for 1 1/2 hours, then stir in the mushrooms and continue cooking for a further 30 minutes or until the meat is almost tender. Taste and check seasoning. Turn into a l 1/2 pint (900 ml) pie dish and allow to become quite cold. Place a pie funnel in the centre.
4. Heat the oven to 425°F/220°C/gas mark 7.
5. Roll out the pastry on a lightly floured surface and cover the pie with it. Seal and crimp the edges, make a small slit in the centre to allow the steam to escape and use any pastry trimmings to decorate the top of the pie.
6. Brush with milk to glaze and cook in the oven for 30 - 35 minutes, or until the pastry is well risen and golden brown and the meat is hot through. If the pastry starts to get too brown, cover with foil.
12 people have helped to review this recipe. Thankyou!