makes 16 or 20
350 g (12 oz) shortcrust pastry or flaky pastry
350 - 450 g (12 oz - 1 lb) mincemeat
milk or beaten egg to glaze
icing or caster sugar (superfine granulated) to dust
1. Roll out the pastry to about 0.3 cm (1/8 inch) thick. Cut into about twenty rounds with a 7.5-cm (3-inch) fluted cutter and twenty smaller rounds with a 6.5-cm (2 1/2-inch) fluted cutter.
2. Line 6.5-cm (2 1/2-inch) patty tins with the larger rounds and fill with mincemeat.
3. Dampen the edges of the small rounds and place firmly in position on top of the pies. Make a small slit in the top of each pie.
4. Bake in the oven at 220°C (425°F) mark 7 for 15 - 20 minutes until light golden brown.
5. Leave to cool on a wire rack. Serve warm or cold, dusted with sugar.
153 people have helped to review this recipe. Thankyou!