50 ml (2 fl oz) olive oil
450 g (1 lb) spicy beef sausage, sliced
350 g (12 oz) cooked shelled shrimps or prawns
350 g (12 oz) cooked shelled mussels
1 kg (2 lb) chicken, cut into small pieces
1 kg (2 lb) white fish
450 g (1 lb) salmon steak, cut into small pieces
450 g (1 lb) haddock fillets, cut into small pieces
5 g (1 tsp) salt
2.5 g (1/2 tsp) black pepper
75 g (3 oz) finely chopped onions
1 green pepper, seeded and finely chopped
1 large tomato, peeled, seeded and finely chopped
4 cloves garlic, finely chopped
600 g (21 oz) rice
pinch of saffron threads
1.5 litre (2 1/2 pt) boiling water
a few cooked prawns and mussels in their shells to garnish
225 g (8 oz) peas
1. In a medium-sized heavy frying pan, heat 45 ml (3 tbsp) of the olive oil.
2. Add the sausage slices and brown well over a low heat. Remove the sausage slices and set aside.
3. In the same pan, brown the chicken pieces over a moderate heat for 10 to 20 minutes, or until thoroughly cooked.
4. Remove the pieces and set aside.
5. Drain the fat from the pan. Add the rest of the oil and heat over a low heat.
6. Add the shellfish, fish pieces, salt, pepper, onions, green pepper, tomatoes and garlic.
7. Saute for 15 to 20 minutes or until the fish are cooked but still firm. Set aside.
8. Preheat the oven to 205°C (400°F) Gas 6. In a large paella pan or flameproof casserole combine the sauteed fish and vegetables with the rice, saffron and boiling water.
9. Stir well and bring to the boil over a high heat. Remove the pan from the heat.
10. Arrange the pieces of sausage, prawns and mussels in their shells and the peas over the rice mixture.
11. Bake, uncovered, for 30 minutes, or until all the liquid is absorbed.
12. Remove the pan from the oven and cover with a clean tea-towel.
13. Leave it to stand for 5 minutes. Serve with lemon wedges for garnish.
41 people have helped to review this recipe. Thankyou!