Preparation time 30 minutes,
Cooking time 35 - 40 minutes,
Oven temperature 180°C, 350°F, gas 4,
Total calories 6170
makes 1 cake
175 g (6 oz) butter or margarine
175 g (6 oz) caster sugar
175 g (6 oz) self- raising flour
for the filling and icing
600 ml (1 pint) double or whipping cream
4 tablespoons redcurrant jelly
100 g (4 oz) icing sugar
1 tablespoon water
a few drops of pink food colouring
1. Grease a 20 cm (8 in) heart-shaped cake tin.
2. Cream the butter or margarine and sugar until light and fluffy. Gradually beat in the eggs, then fold in the flour.
3. Bake in a moderate oven for 35 - 40 minutes or until golden and firm. Turn out to cool on a wire rack. Cut the cake horizontally in half.
4. Whip the cream until thick. Sandwich the cake halves together with half the redcurrant jelly and some of the cream. Dissolve the remaining redcurrant jelly in a saucepan over a low heat, then smooth over the top of the cake. Cool. Pipe cream around the sides of the cake.
5. Beat the icing sugar with the water and food colouring until smooth. Pour over the jelly on top of the cake. Add a border of cream on the top of the cake.
Cook this cake in a 20 cm (8 in) round cake tin and continue as above for a celebration cake for any occasion.
35 people have helped to review this recipe. Thankyou!