4 beef rump steaks,, each weighing 4- 6 oz/110-170 g
2 mild onions, peeled and thinly sliced
3 tbsp soy sauce
2-3 tbsp fresh lime juice
freshly ground black pepper
1 tbsp groundnut (peanut) or sunflower oil
3-4 tbsp water
1. Trim any fat and gristle from the meat and place it in a shallow dish on top of a rough quarter of the sliced onion.
2. Mix the soy sauce, lime juice and pepper and sprinkle this over the meat. Cover it with a few more onion rings and leave to marinate for an hour or two, turning once or twice.
3. Heat the oil in a frying pan. Remove the steak from the marinade, letting the juices drip back into the dish, and fry itwith the remaining onion until done to your liking.
4. Remove from the pan and keep warm. Pour the marinade and the marinated onions into the pan and cook, scraping up any residues on the bottom of the pan. Add the water, bring to the boil, sieve and serve the sauce poured over the steak and onions.
5. Remove the meat from the pan and keep it covered in a warm place while you finish making the sauce.