1 lb (450 g) potatoes, cooked and mashed
Oil for greasing a dish
2 tbsp breadcrumbs, sieved
3 tbsp cheese, grated
1/3 cup (75 g) butter
1 tsp salt
Good grinding of black pepper
1 medium egg yolk, beaten
1 lb (450 g) fresh spinach
2 tsp cooking oil
1 small onion, finely chopped
1 tbsp tomato puree (paste)
1 green chilli, finely chopped
1 chicken bouillon cube (stock cube)
1 medium egg white, whisked until stiff
Pinch of nutmeg, grated
1. Grease an ovenproof dish and coat the inside surface all over with the breadcrumbs.
2. Mix the mashed potato with the cheese, butter, salt, pepper and egg yolk and place in the casserole dish, over the breadcrumbs.
3. Wash and dry the spinach and remove any tough stalks. Chop up roughly.
4. Heat the oil and fry the onion until soft but not browned.
5. Add the spinach, tomato puree, chilli and crumbled stock cube and simmer gently for 5 minutes.
6. Allow to cool until just warm, then fold in the whisked egg white and nutmeg.
7. Pour the mixture over the potato and bake in the oven Gas mark 4, 350°F (180°C) for 25 minutes.
38 people have helped to review this recipe. Thankyou!