1. Preheat oven to 180°C/350°F/ Gas Mark 4.
2. Soak sultanas and prunes for 15 minutes, then drain. Wash figs in warm water, dry and chop.
3. Grate zest from 1 orange. Peel other orange; cut zest into thin strips and reserve.
4. Wash, dry and chop liver and heart of goose, before combining with dried fruit and orange zest Wash and dry goose, rub well inside with salt and pepper, then stuff with fruit mixture and sew up.
5. Truss goose and lay on wire rack over roasting pan. Pour 1 cup (8 fl oz) 250 ml boiling water into pan and slide into bottom of oven.
6. Roast for 3 1/2 hours, breast side down basting frequently with pan juices.
7. After first hour, turn goose over and prick legs to allow fat to run out. During next 2 1/2 hours, brush goose frequently with cold salted water. Skim fat off pan juices whenever possible.
8. When done, switch off oven and leave goose in it for 20 minutes longer.
9. Remove pith from oranges and divide carefully into skinless segments. Deglaze roasting pan with hot water and strain. Carve goose, garnish with orange segments and reserved orange strips.
10. Serve sauce separately.