4 slices of silverside (beefcut from the rump) or topside of beef (weighing about 5 oz / 150g each)
1 stick (8 tbsp) 4 oz (112 g) butter
1 medium onion, chopped
1 cup (100 g) mushrooms, chopped
1 oz (25 g) stuffed green olives, chopped
3/4 cup (50 g) fresh white breadcrumbs
1 egg, beaten
salt and pepper
1 large orange
1/4 cup (1 oz) 30 g plain flour (All purpose)
2/3 cup (150 ml) 1/4 water
1 beef bouillon cube (stock cube)
1. Prepare the stuffing (see below) in advance.
2. Trim off any fat from the meat.
3. Place each slice of meat in turn between wet greaseproof paper, then beat flat with a rolling pin. (Using wet paper prevents the meat from sticking to the rolling pin.)
4. Divide the stuffing into 4 equal parts and place a portion on each slice of meat.
5. Roll up the meat and tie neatly with thin string or secure with wooden cocktail sticks.
6. Peel thin strips of rind from the orange, then cut into thin match sticks with a sharp knife. Cut some slices from the orange for garnish.
7. Squeeze the juice from the orange, pour it into a measuring jug and make up to 1/2 pt (300 ml) with water.
8. Melt the remaining butter in a saucepan and fry the beef olives to brown all over. Lift them out and keep on one side.
9. Stir the flour into the fat remaining in the pan and cook for 2 minutes.
10. Blend in the water and orange juice with the crumbled bouillon cube and bring to the boil, stirring constantly. Return the meat to the pan, cover with a lid or foil and simmer gently for about 1 1/2 hours or until the beef is tender.
11. Lift out the beef olives and place on a serving dish. Remove the string or cocktail sticks.
12. Taste sauce and check seasoning. Spoon the sauce over the meat, sprinkle with the strips of orange rind and garnish with slices of orange.
13. Serve immediately.
to prepare the stuffing
1. Melt half of the butter in a saucepan and fry the onion for 5-8 minutes or until soft but not brown.
2. Add the mushrooms and cook for a further 2 minutes.
3. Remove the pan from the heat and stir in the olives, breadcrumbs, egg, salt and pepper and mix thoroughly.