4 t-bone steaks
1 onion, finely chopped
4 reserved mushroom stems chopped
1 tbsp (1/2 oz) butter
1 tsp coarse grained mustard
125 g (4 oz) Gruyere cheese, grated
for the stuffed mushrooms
4 large black mushrooms, wiped
1 tbsp (1/2 oz) butter, melted
2 slices ham, chopped
3 chives, snipped
1/2 cup (30 g) fresh breadcrumbs
freshly ground black pepper to taste
1. First prepare the stuffed mushrooms. Remove stems and set aside for steaks.
2. Place mushrooms, round side uppermost, on a baking sheet and brush with melted butter. Cook for 3 minutes under a pre-heated grill.
3. Mix remaining stuffing ingredients and spoon stuffing onto each mushroom.
4. To prepare the meat, slash fat edges of meat at 2.5 cm (1 inch) intervals to prevent curling during cooking.
5. Heat a ridged pan until smoking hot and cook meat for 5 to 7 minutes in total (rare) or 7 to 10 minutes in total (medium).
6. Cook the mushrooms together with the steaks for 3 minutes.
7. Meanwhile saute onion and reserved mushroom stems in heated butter until onion is translucent.
8. Remove from heat and add mustard and cheese.
9. When meat is cooked, remove immediately from ridged pan, spread topping over each steak and place together with mushrooms under a pre-heated grill until cheese has melted.