1.5 kg (3 lb) whole fillet (Tenderloin Steak)
for the stuffing
2 red pepper, seeded and cut into julienne strips
1/2 green pepper, seeded and cut into julienne strips
2 cloves garlic, crushed
125 g (4 oz) mozzarella cheese, grated (optional)
for the basting mixture
3 tbsp melted butter
5 tsp lemon juice 2 lemon leaves, crushed
2 tsp salt
freshly ground black pepper to taste
1. First prepare the stuffing by mixing all the ingredients together.
2. Prepare the basting mixture by mixing all the ingredients together.
3. To prepare the meat, make a lengthwise incision in the fillet without cutting through.
4. Fold open and flatten meat slightly with the palm of the hand.
5. Spread stuffing over one half of fillet, fold over and secure with string at 2.5 cm (1 inch) intervals.
6. Place meat on the rack of a roasting tin and roast at 160 °C (325 °F) gas 3 for 15 to 20 minutes per 500 g (1 lb) plus 15 minutes (rare) or 20 to 25 minutes per 500 g (1 Ib) plus 20 minutes (medium), basting the meat regularly with the basting mixture.
7. Allow fillet to rest for approximately 10 minutes before removing string and carving.