1 kg (2 lb) boned clod or chuck (neck end), cut into 2.5 cm (1 inch) cubes
2 tbsp cooking oil
3 onions, chopped
2 carrots, grated
2 tsp salt
freshly ground black pepper to taste
5 tsp ground cloves
1 tbsp ground coriander
1 tbsp Worcestershire sauce
2 tbsp wine vinegar
1 cup (8 fl oz) 250 ml meat stock
2 tbsp plain flour (All purpose)
for the buttermilk pastry
1 2/3 cup (175 g) plain flour (All purpose)
1 tsp salt
1 stick (8 tbsp) 4 oz (112 g) butter
125 ml (4 fl oz) 1/2 cup buttermilk
2 tbsp milk
1. Brown meat in heated cooking oil. Add onion and carrot and saute until onion is translucent. Sprinkle seasoning over.
2. Heat Worcestershire sauce, wine vinegar and meat stock and add to meat. Cover with lid, reduce heat and simmer for 2 to 2 1/2 hours or until meat is tender.
3. Thicken liquid with a flour and water paste.
4. Transfer meat to a pie dish and leave to cool. Place pie funnel in centre of dish.
5. To prepare the pastry, sift flour and salt together. Cut butter into small pieces and rub it into the flour mixture until it resembles breadcrumbs.
6. Stir in buttermilk and mix to a soft dough. Place in a plastic bag and chill in refrigerator for 20 minutes.
7. Roll out pastry thinly and cover meat. Seal edges and brush pastry with milk.
8. Bake pie at 200°c (400°f) gas 6 for 15 minutes or until golden brown and cooked.