During the boning process be careful not to split the skin.
The bacon cooks in its own fat: no extra fat or Oil for frying is needed.
Sprinkling with salt makes the skin deliciously crisp.
4 turkey drumsticks, unskinned
100 g (4 oz) streaky bacon rashers, rinds removed, chopped
1 onion, finely chopped
1 red pepper, deseeded and finely chopped
50 g (2 oz) button mushrooms, finely chopped
50 g (2 oz) fresh white breadcrumbs
3 tablespoons finely chopped fresh parsley
1 egg, beaten
salt and freshly ground black pepper
vegetable oil, for brushing
1. Heat the oven to 180°C (350°F) Gas 4.
2. Bone the drumsticks: with a sharp knife cut through the tendons at each end of the bone, then starting at the thigh end work the flesh down towards the knuckle and ease the flesh over the narrow end, to expose the bone.
3. Place the blade of the knife across the bone at the knuckle. Bang the
knife sharply with a rolling pin to cut through the bone, so that only a small piece is left inside the flesh.
4. Put the bacon in a frying-pan and fry over gentle heat until the fat runs. Add the onion and red pepper and fry gently for 5 minutes until softened. Stir in the mushrooms and cook for 2 minutes.
5. Put the fried bacon and vegetables in a bowl and combine with the breadcrumbs, parsley and egg,
stirring well to mix. Season with salt and pepper.
6. Allow the stuffing mixture to cool, then pack -it into the drumsticks. Secure the ends with wooden cocktail sticks and place drumsticks in a small roasting tin. Brush with oil and sprinkle with salt.
7. Bake in the oven for 45-50 minutes, until golden. Remove the cocktail sticks and serve hot or cold.
6 people have helped to review this recipe. Thankyou!