makes 6 kg (13 lb)
2 whole silverside (beefcut from the rump)s, approximately 12 kg (25 lb)
315 g (10 oz) coarse salt
1/2 cup (90 g) soft brown sugar
1 1/2 tsp saltpetre
1 tbsp Bicarbonate of soda (Baking soda)
1 tbsp freshly ground black pepper
60 g (2 oz) coriander seeds, toasted and ground
1 1/4 cup (1/2 pint) 300 ml vinegar
1. Remove all visible connective tissue from meat.
2. Cut meat into long strips approximately 2.5 cm (1 inch) thick.
3. Mix dry ingredients together.
4. Place meat in layers in a suitable container and sprinkle salt mixture over each layer.
5. Sprinkle with vinegar and leave overnight.
6. Dip meat into hot vinegar and water mixture 375 ml (12 fl oz) vinegar to 5 litres (9 pints) boiling water), then hang in a cool draughty place to dry.
About half the mass of the meat is lost in the drying out process, dont store in plastic containers, it will go mouldy.
Store wrapped in muslim. or freeze after wrapping tightly in ckingfilm.
13 people have helped to review this recipe. Thankyou!