makes 10 small savouries
10 small oysters
5 rindless back bacon rashers, each rasher cut into 4 pieces
10 ml/2 tsp lemon juice cayenne pepper
oil for deep frying
for the batter
1 cup (110 g) plain flour (All purpose)
1.25 ml (1/4 tsp) salt
1 egg, beaten
125 ml (4 fl oz) milk
5 ml/1 tsp grated onion
10 ml/2 tsp chopped parsley
5 slices white bread
1/2 stick (2 oz) 50 g Herb Butter
1. Make the batter. Mix the flour and salt in a bowl. Make a well in the centre, and add the beaten egg and 60 ml/4 tbsp of the milk. Mix well, gradually incorporating the flour. Beat until smooth, then stir in the remaining milk, with the onion and parsley.
2. Open the oyster shells, remove the oysters and dry gently on absorbent kitchen paper. Season an oyster with lemon juice and cayenne. Place between 2 bacon squares and press together firmly. Repeat with remaining oysters and bacon.
3. Put the oil for frying into a deep wide saucepan to a depth of at least 7.5 cm/ 3 inches. Heat the oil to 180-190°C/350-375°F or until a cube of bread added to the oil browns in 30 seconds. If using a deep-fat fryer, follow the manufacturer's instructions.
4. Dip the bacon and oyster fritters iti the batter, a few at a time, and deep fry for 2-3 minutes until golden brown. Drain on absorbent kitchen paper and keep hot in a warmed dish. Reheat the oil before putting in each fresh batch of fritters.
5. Toast the bread. Using a biscuit cutter, cut each slice into 2 rounds and spread with parsley butter. Serve 1 fritter on each toast round.