It is preferable to cook stews in an oven because it gives more even cooking.
1.5 kg stewing beef cut into 2.5 cm cubes
200 g dripping
200 g carrots roughly cut
200 g onions roughly cut
150 g celery roughly cut
75 g flour
50 g tomato puree
1.5 litres brown stock
1 bouquet garni
1. Season the meat and fry in hot dripping until golden in colour on all sides; drain in a colander and place in a stewing pan.
2. Fry the vegetables in the same fat until golden, drain in a colander and add to the meat.
3. Singe the meat and vegetables by sprinkling with flour and placing in a hot oven until the flour turns brown.
4. Add the tomato puree and stir in the stock. Bring to the boil, skim, season and add the bouquet garni.
5. Cook covered in an oven at 180°C or simmer on top of the stove for 1 1/2 hours.
6. When cooked, transfer the meat to another saucepan and discard the vegetables and bouquet garni. Strain the sauce through a conical strainer over the meat.
7. Bring to the boil and skim to remove all traces of fat. Correct the consistency so that it just coats the meat and, if necessary, adjust the colour.