1.5 kg thick flank or brisket
2 celery, tied in bundles
250 g button onions
250 g carrots (barrel-shaped)
500 g cabbage (tied)
200 g turnips (barrel-shaped)
tied in a piece of muslin
1 sprig thyme
4 juniper berries
sea salt or coarse salt
1. Place the prepared meat in a deep pan of boiling salted water. Bring back to the boil and skim thoroughly.
2. Add the bag of flavourings and salt and simmer gently for 2 hours.
3. Add the vegetables according to the time they take to cook: first the celery, then button onions, carrots, leeks, cabbage and turnips.
4. When cooked, transfer the meat to one saucepan and the vegetables to another with a little of the cooking liquid. Discard the bag of flavourings,
5. Carve the meat into slices 3 - 4 mm thick across the grain at an angle of 45°. Arrange on a dish, garnish with the vegetables and moisten with cooking liquid.
6. Serve with dishes of gherkins, coarse salt and French mustard.