1 lb (450 g) peeled scampi tails
salt and pepper
1/3 cup (50 g) plain flour (All purpose)
oil for deep frying
lemon wedges to garnish
Tartare Sauce to serve
for the batter
2 cups (225 g) plain flour (All purpose)
2 eggs, separated
30 ml/2 tbsp oil
60-90 ml (4-6 tbsp) milk
1. Mix the flour, salt and pepper in a sturdy polythene bag. Add the scampi tails and toss until well coated. Shake off excess flour.
2. Make the batter. Mix the flour and salt in a bowl. Make a well in the centre, add the egg yolks, oil and 60 ml/4 tbsp of the milk. Mix well, gradually incorporating the flour to make a stiff batter. Add the extra 30 ml/2 tbsp milk if necessary. Cover the batter and let it stand for 15 minutes.
3. In a clean, dry bowl whisk the egg whites until stiff. Fold them into the batter.
4. Put the oil for frying into a deep wide saucepan to a depth of at least 7.5 cm/3 inches. Heat the oil to 180-190°C/350-375°F or until a cube of bread added to the oil browns in 30 seconds. If using a deep-fat fryer, follow the manufacturer's instructions.
5. Dip the floured scampi in the batter, a few at a time, and deep fry for 2-3 minutes until crisp. Drain on absorbent kitchen paper and keep hot in a warmed dish. Reheat the oil before putting in each fresh batch of scampi.
6. When all the scampi are fried, pile them on a serving platter, garnish with lemon and serve at once with tartare sauce.