If Sage Derby is not available use another hard, herb-flavoured cheese. A firm goat's cheese is a very good substitute.
4 large tomatoes
175 g (6 oz) Shortcrust Pastry
100 g (4 oz) Sage Derby cheese
150 ml (1/4 pt) milk
salt and freshly ground black pepper
1. Pour boiling water over the tomatoes.
2. After a minute the skins will begin to split.
3. Refresh with cold water. Peel the tomatoes and slice them thickly.
4. Line a 22 cm (8 in) quiche pan with the pastry and crumble the cheese into it.
5. Arrange the tomato slices to cover the cheese.
6. Break the eggs into a bowl and lightly beat with the milk and seasoning.
7. Pour egg mixture over the tomatoes, gently pressing them down with a fork.
8. Bake in the centre of a preheated oven at 200°C (400°F) Gas 6 for 15 - 20 minutes, until set and golden.
4 people have helped to review this recipe. Thankyou!