This is a delicious, rich-flavoured soup, ideal for cold winter evenings.
2 oz (55g) oat flakes
2 teaspoons oil
1/2 lb (225 g) onions, finely sliced
Pinch of sea salt
1/2 lb (225 g) carrots, diced
2 pints (1.1 litres) water or vegetable stock
2 teaspoons tamari/shoyu soya sauce or yeast extract
1/2 cup dulse seaweed, finely shredded
1. Dry toast the oat flakes in a heavy pot over a medium heat, stirring constantly, until golden. Remove from the pot and set aside.
2. Heat the oil in the pan and add the onion and the pinch of salt. Cook gently without the lid for 3-5 minutes.
3. Add the carrots, cover and cook for a further 5 minutes.
4. Add the stock and the oats, cover and cook over a low heat until the vegetables and the oats are cooked.
5. Sieve or liquidize the soup, reheat, taste and adjust the seasoning. Serve garnished with the dulse.
1 person has helped to review this recipe. Thankyou!