makes 2 1/2 cups
1 1/2 cups cold water
1/2 cup carrots, cut in julienne strips
1/2 cup fresh pineapple, chopped
1/2 cup sugar
4 tablespoons vinegar
2 tablespoons soy sauce
1 tablespoon oil
1/2 cup red or green capsicum, cut in julienne strips
1/2 cup finely chopped spring onions
3 thin slices fresh root ginger, chopped, or 1/2 teaspoon ground ginger
1 tablespoon cornflour
salt and pepper
1. Bring water to the boil in a saucepan and cook carrot strips until just tender.
2. Add pineapple pieces and cook for 1 minute. Stir in sugar, vinegar and soy sauce. Cover and simmer for 2 minutes.
3. Heat oil in a separate pan, and gently fry capsicum strips for 1 minute. Add spring onions, chopped or powdered ginger and fry for a further 2 minutes.
4. Add fried mixture to carrot mixture in saucepan.
5. Blend cornflour to a smooth paste with a little cold water and stir into mixture.
6. Bring to the boil, stirring continuously, until sauce thickens. Simmer for 2 minutes.
7. Season to taste with salt and pepper and serve hot. Serve with grilled fish, lamb and pork, or meat balls.
8 people have helped to review this recipe. Thankyou!