75 g (3 oz) thin egg noodles
25 g (1 oz) 2 tbsp unsalted butter
1 small bunch spring onions, chopped
1 celery stick, sliced
1 medium carrot, cut into batons
1.2 litres (2 pints) 5 cups chicken stock
60 ml (4 tbsp) dry sherry
115 g (4 oz) white crab meat, fresh or frozen
pinch of celery salt
pinch of cayenne pepper
10 ml (2 tsp) lemon juice
1 small bunch coriander or flat-leaf parsley, roughly chopped, to garnish
1. Bring a large saucepan of salted water to the boil. Toss in the egg noodles and cook according to the instructions on the packet. Cool under cold running water and leave immersed in water until required.
2. Heat the butter in another large pan, add the spring onions, celery and carrot, cover and cook the vegetables over a gentle heat for 3 - 4 minutes until soft.
3. Add the chicken stock and dry sherry, bring to the boil and simmer for a further 5 minutes.
4. Flake the crab meat between your fingers on to a plate and remove any stray pieces of shell
5. Drain the noodles and add to the broth together with the crab meat. Season to taste with celery salt and cayenne pepper and stir in the lemon juice. Return to a simmer.
6. Ladle the broth into shallow soup plates, scatter with roughly chopped coriander or parsley and serve immediately.
90 people have helped to review this recipe. Thankyou!