100 g (4 oz) Demerara sugar
50 g (2 oz) butter, softened
4 pineapple rings, fresh or tinned
6 walnut halves
2 eggs, separated
25 g (1 oz) butter, melted
100 g (4 oz) soft brown sugar
100 g (4 oz) self-raising flour
25 g (1 oz) unsweetened cocoa powder
1. Cream together the sugar and butter and spread over the base of a greased 20 cm (8 in) cake tin.
2. Arrange the pineapple rings on top, with a walnut in the centre of each.
3. Beat together the egg yolks and melted butter until creamy.
4. Whisk the egg whites until stiff. Fold in the sugar and egg yolks mixture.
5. Sieve together the flour and cocoa and fold in carefully. Pour the mixture over the fruit and spread evenly.
6. Bake at 180'C (350°F) Gas 4 for about 30 minutes.
7. Carefully turn out onto a serving dish and serve with pouring custard or single cream.