1 litre (1 3/4 pints) 4 cups chicken stock
350 g (12 oz) egg noodles
15 ml (1 tbsp) dried shrimps, soaked in water
30 ml (2 tbsp) vegetable oil
225 g (8 oz) lean pork, finely shredded
15 ml (1 tbsp) yellow bean paste
15 ml (1 tbsp) soy sauce
115 g (4 oz) Szechuan hot pickle, rinsed, drained and shredded
pinch of sugar
salt and freshly ground black pepper
2 spring onions, finely sliced, to garnish
1. Bring the stock to the boil in a large saucepan. Add the noodles and cook until almost tender.
2. Drain the dried shrimps, rinse them under cold water, drain again and add to the stock.
3. Lower the heat and simmer for a further 2 minutes. Keep hot.
4. Heat the oil in a frying pan or wok. Add the pork and stir-fry over a high heat for about 3 minutes.
5. Add the bean paste and soy sauce to the pork; stir-fry for 1 minute more. Add the hot pickle with a pinch of sugar. Stir-fry for 1 minute more.
6. Divide the noodles and soup among individual serving bowls. Spoon the pork mixture on top, then sprinkle with the spring onions and serve at once.