Colories per serving: 400
25 g (1 oz) butter
30 ml (2 tbsp) oil
1 onion, peeled and finely chopped
4 stalks celery
1 green pepper, seeded
225 g (8 oz) long-grain rice
5 g (1 tsp) salt
freshly ground black pepper
15 ml (1 tbsp) Worcestershire sauce
5 ml (1 tsp) soy sauce
600 ml (1 pt) chicken stock
100 g (4 oz) cooked ham, diced
225 g (8 oz) peeled prawns
15 g (3 tbsp) chopped parsley
whole prawns to garnish (optional)
1. Heat the butter and oil in a frying pan and cook the onion over a low heat until translucent.
2. Wash the celery and peel the strings from the rounded side with a sharp knife.
3. Cut into small pieces. Add to the onions.
4. Dice the pepper and aubergines. Add to the celery and onion and stir for a few minutes to mix well.
5. Add the rice and stir if there is room in the pan. If there is not, put the vegetables and rice into a large casserole and mix well.
6. Add the salt and pepper, Worcestershire and soy sauces to the stock.
7. Transfer the vegetables and rice into the casserole if not already there. Add the stock over a medium heat.
8. When the liquid comes to the boil cover with a lid and bake at 180°C (350°F) Gas 4.
9. Remove from the oven. Stir in the prawns and ham. Replace the lid and cook for a further 10 - 15 minutes until the rice is cooked. Taste for seasoning.
10. Mix in the chopped parsley before serving. Garnish with whole prawns if you like.
4 people have helped to review this recipe. Thankyou!