makes approx. 1.2 litre (2 pt)
1.5 kg (3 1/2 lb) pared watermelon rinds, white part only, cut into 1/4 x 1 in pieces
30 g (2 tbsp) salt
1 kg (2 lb) sugar
600 ml (1 pt) water
600 ml (1 pt) cider vinegar
45 ml (3 tbsp) lemon juice
4 cinnamon sticks, broken into 1 in pieces
20 g (2 tbsp) whole cloves
20 g (2 tbsp) whole allspice
10 g (1 tbsp) whole white peppercorns
10 g (1 tbsp) whole mustard seeds
1. Toss the watermelon rinds together with salt. Cover with cold water and leave to soak overnight.
2. Drain and rinse well. Put the rinds in a saucepan with enough cold water to cover and bring to the boil over a high heat.
3. Reduce heat and simmer for about 10 minutes. Drain well.
4. Bring the remaining ingredients to the boil in a large saucepan and simmer, stirring constantly, for about 10 minutes, until the sugar is completely dissolved.
5. Add the watermelon rinds and simmer for about 45 minutes, until rinds are transparent.
6. Transfer rinds and syrup to sterilized jars and seal. Store pickles for 3 - 4 weeks before using.
3 people have helped to review this recipe. Thankyou!