serves 4 to 6
1 small onion, peeled
25 g (1 oz) butter
100 g (4 oz) firm white button mushrooms
15 g (1/2 oz) flour
150 ml (1/4 pt) chicken stock
150 ml (1/4 pt) whole milk or light cream
15 ml (1 tbsp) port (optional)
salt and freshly ground pepper
pinch of nutmeg
7 g (1 tbsp) snipped chives
lemon juice to taste
1. Finely chop the onion. Heat the butter in a small pan and slowly cook the onion until soft and golden.
2. Slice the mushrooms. Add to the onions and fry over medium heat for 2 minutes, then mix in the flour.
3. Stir in the stock and milk or cream and bring to the boil, stirring constantly.
4. Add the port, and seasonings. Simmer the sauce for 5 minutes.
5. Chop the chives and stir into the sauce and add a little lemon juice to taste.
7 people have helped to review this recipe. Thankyou!