2 medium onions, finely chopped
2 - 3 cloves garlic, crushed
30 ml (2 tbsp) olive oil
45 ml (3 tbsp) tomato puree
45 ml (3 tbsp) wine or water
5 g (1 tsp) dried oregano
5 g (1 tsp) paprika
5 g (1 tsp) sugar
salt and pepper
1. Fry the onions and garlic in the oil until they begin to brown. Turn down the heat and simmer, covered, for 10-15 minutes or until softened.
2. Add the tomato puree, wine or water, oregano, paprika and sugar, and season with salt and pepper to taste.
3. Allow the sauce to bubble for 5 minutes, stirring constantly, and serve.
4. This rich sauce can be served with pasta as it is, or with mince and liquid added. It is delicious poured over chicken pieces or fish steaks before baking, or used to top pizza.
5. It will also flavour soups and stews and is an excellent relish for cold meats, hamburgers and frankfurters.