120 ml (8 tbsp) oil
2 large onions, peeled and finely chopped
2 - 3 cloves garlic, crushed
275 g (10 oz) long-grain rice
salt and freshly ground pepper
600 ml (1 pt) chicken stock
1 red pepper, seeded
1 green pepper, seeded
225 g (8 oz) white fish, boned
150 ml (1/4 pt) white wine
1 bay leaf
4 - 8 chicken drumsticks
450 g (1 lb) mussels
100 g (4 oz) peeled prawns
7 g (1 tbsp) parsley, chopped
1. Heat three quarters of the oil in a large frying pan or casserole.
2. Over a low heat cook the onions until they become translucent. Add the garlic.
3. Gradually add the rice and stir around in the onions and oil until the grains are coated with oil.
4. Add seasoning and turmeric to the hot stock and pour on the rice gradually, stirring as the rice is brought to the boil. Cover with a lid or with foil, and simmer gently for 10 minutes.
5. Meanwhile dice the green and red peppers and blanch for 1 minute in boiling water.
6. Poach the white fish in water with a little of the wine and the bay leaf for about 5 minutes.
7. Fry the drumsticks in another pan in the remaining oil until golden brown and cooked through.
8. Clean the mussels by removing the beards and rinsing several times in cold water. Any which remain open when tapped should be discarded. Pour the wine into the saucepan with a little fish stock from the poached fish. Add the mussels and shake the pan from time to time until the mussels open. This will take about 8 minutes. Keep warm.
9. Remove the lid from the rice and separate the grains with a fork. Stirring gently, add the peppers, the white fish, prawns, about 150 ml(1/4 pt) mussel stock and then the chicken. Cover and cook until rice is separate and liquid is absorbed.
10. Decorate with parsley before serving.
15 people have helped to review this recipe. Thankyou!