12 oz (350 g) chicken breasts
1 green pepper
4 spring onions
1 cup (100 g) small mushrooms
for the sauce
1 tablespoon caster sugar (superfine granulated)
8 tablespoons soy sauce
4 teaspoons either sweet sherry, apple juice, or mirin - Japanese sweet, white rice wine for cooking
1 1/4 cup (1/2 pint) 300 ml water
1. Put the sugar, soy sauce, water and apple juice or sherry or mirin into a saucepan, and boil until reduced by about half.
2. Light the grill - you need it really hot. Then prepare the kebabs. Each person has one kebab of vegetables andone of chicken.
3. Peel and cut the onions into 1 inch (2.5 cm) pieces. Clean the seeds out of the pepper and cut that into 1-inch (2.5 cm) pieces.
4. Trim and wash the mushrooms. Thread them on to the skewers so it goes pepper, onion, mushroom and so on, until the skewer is half full.
5. Then cut the chicken breasts into 1-inch (2.5 cm) cubes and put those on to the skewers, and again leave half the skewer unused.
6. Dip the kebabs into the sauce. The best way is to pour the sauce into a tall glass and dip the kebabs into that. Put the kebabs under the hot grill.
7. Halfway through cooking - after about 4-5 minutes - take them out, dip them in the sauce again and turn them when you put them back under the grill.
8. Cook them for another 4-5 minutes. Put the sauce back into a saucepan and boil it up again for a few minutes, then dip the kebabs in it just before serving.
Serve on a heaped bed of rice
9 people have helped to review this recipe. Thankyou!