This method can also used for salmon trout and sea bass.
serves 8 - 10
4 kg (7 - 8 lb) salmon
1/2 onion, halved
1 sprig parsley
1. Prepare the salmon by slitting the stomach and removing the insides from head to tail.
2. Wash the cavity under cold running water. (The fish can also be gutted by removing the head and drawing the entrails out with the curved handle of a soup ladle.
3. This means the stomach remains whole and is better to dress for a buffet table.
4. However, many fish are bought already gutted.)
5. Put the lemon, onion, bay leaf and parsley sprig in the cavity.
6. Half fill a fish kettle with the court-bouillon and lower the fish into the liquid, bring to the boil gently and then simmer over a low heat for about 45 minutes.
7. Remove from the heat and allow to cool for some hours in the fish liquid,
8. Do not cook over a high heat or the fish will split.
9. Remove the fish from the liquid and allow it to drain for about 1 hour if using cold, as a Dressed Salmon.
10. Alternatively serve the salmon hot with Hollandaise or Mousseline Sauce.
2 people have helped to review this recipe. Thankyou!