4 herrings, filleted
20 ml (4 tsp) French mustard
15 g (4 tsp) breadcrumbs
for the sauce
150 ml (1/4 pt) vegetable oil
45 ml (3 tbsp) white wine vinegar
5 g (1 tsp) capers, chopped
2.5 g (1/2 tsp) tarragon, dried
1 spring onion, finely chopped
salt and freshly ground pepper
1. Preheat the grill. Make 3 slits in the backs of each of the boned herrings. Arrange on the grill pan.
2. Spread the mustard over the fish and sprinkle with breadcrumbs.
3. Brush with a little vegetable oil and grill under a high heat for 5 minutes.
4. Lower heat to medium and continue cooking for a further 5 minutes.
5. Put all the sauce ingredients in a screw-top jar and shake well.
6. Serve separately in a sauceboat, either hot or cold.