300 g (10 oz) sugar
150 ml (1/4 pt) water
100 g (4 oz) plain chocolate in small pieces
100 g (4 oz) milk chocolate in small pieces
65 g (2 1/2 oz) butter
40 ml (2 1/2 tbsp) double cream
75 ml (5 tbsp) rum, brandy or Grand Marnier
approx. 675 g (1 1/2 lb) prepared mixed fruit in bite sized pieces
1. Heat the sugar and water over a low heat, stirring constantly, until the sugar has dissolved.
2. Leave to cool.
3. Melt the chocolate with the butter and cream in the top of a double boiler. Stir occasionally.
4. Remove the melted chocolate from the heat. Gradually stir in the sweetened water and mix well
5. Stir in the rum, brandy or Grand Marnier.
6. To eat the fondue, your guests each dip fruit pieces into the warm sauce.