675 g (1 1/2 lb) potatoes, cooked and mashed
salt and freshly ground black pepper
1 egg, beaten
3 tablespoons oil
1 large green pepper
1 (227 g (8 oz) can tomatoes
1 tablespoon concentrated tomato puree (paste)
1/2 teaspoon dried mixed herbs
8 fresh sardines, cleaned
2 oz (50 g) Cheddar cheese, grated
1 tablespoon chopped parsley to garnish
1. Mix the mashed potato, seasoning, egg and onion together.
2. Heat the oil in a large frying pan, add the potato mixture and smooth with a knife or spatula. Gently fry in the oil for 20 to 25 minutes until golden brown underneath.
3. Meanwhile, scorch the skin of the pepper under a hot grill and peel, then cut lengthways into strips. Mix the tomatoes, tomato puree and herbs together and heat gently.
4. Pour the tomato mixture over the potatoes in the frying pan. On top of this form a wheel shape with the sardines, with their heads pointing outwards - and arrange strips of pepper between each sardine.
5. Grill under a moderate heat for 5 minutes or until the sardines are nearly cooked, then sprinkle over the grated cheese, turn up the heat and grill until the top is golden and bubbling.
6. Garnish with the parsley and cut the bubbly into wedges.
7. Serve, if liked, with a green vegetable,
1 person has helped to review this recipe. Thankyou!