225 g (8 oz) Thai fragrant rice
45 ml (3 tbsp) vegetable oil
1 onion, chopped
1 small red pepper, seeded and cubed into 2 cm (3/4 in) cubes
350 g (12 oz) skinless, boneless chicken breasts, cut into 2 cm (3/4 in) cubes.
1 garlic clove, crushed
15 ml (1 tbsp) mild curry paste
2.5 ml (1/2 tsp) paprika
2.5 ml (1/2 tsp) ground turmeric
30 ml (2 tbsp) Thai fish sauce (nam pla)
2 eggs, beaten
salt and ground black pepper fried basil leaves, to garnish
1. Put the rice in a sieve and wash well under cold running water. Put the rice in a heavy-based pan with 1.5 litres (2 1/2 pts) 6 1/4 cups boiling water. Return to the boil, then simmer uncovered, for 8 - 10 minutes; drain well. Spread out the grams on a tray and leave to cool.
2. Heat a wok until hot, add 30 ml ( 2 tbsp) of the oil and swirl it around. Add the onion and red pepper and stir-fry for 1 minute.
3. Add the chicken cubes, garlic, curry paste and spices and stir-fry for 2 - 3 minutes.
4. Reduce the heat to medium, add the cooled rice, fish sauce and seasoning. Stir-fry for 2 - 3 minutes until the rice is very hot.
5. Make a well in the centre of the rice and add the remaining oil. When hot, add the beaten eggs, leave to cook for about 2 minutes until lightly set, then stir into the rice.
6. Scatter over the fried basil leaves and serve at once.
7 people have helped to review this recipe. Thankyou!