Black glutinous rice, also known as black sticky rice, has long black grains and a nutty taste similar to wild rice. This baked pudding has a distinct character and flavour all of its own.
serves 4 - 6
175 g (6 oz) white or black glutinous (sticky) rice
30 ml (2 tbsp) soft light brown sugar
475 ml (16 fl oz) 2 cups coconut milk
250 ml (8 fl oz) 1 cup water
3 eggs 30 ml (2 tbsp) granulated sugar
1. Combine the glutinous rice, brown sugar, half the coconut milk and all the water in a saucepan.
2. Bring to the boil and simmer for about 15 - 20 minutes or until the rice has absorbed most of the liquid, stirring from time to time. Preheat the oven to 150°C (300°F) Gas 3.
3. Transfer the rice into one large ovenproof dish or divide it between individual ramekins. Mix together the eggs, remaining coconut milk and sugar in a bowl.
4. Strain and pour the mixture evenly over the par-cooked rice.
5. Place the dish in a baking tin. Pour in enough boiling water to come halfway up the sides of the dish.
6. Cover the dish with a piece of foil and bake in the oven for about 35 minutes to 1 hour or until the custard is set.
7. Serve warm or cold.
3 people have helped to review this recipe. Thankyou!