2 oz (50 g) lard
2 small onions, sliced
1 large tomato, skinned and sliced
1 garlic clove, crushed (optional)
350 g (12 oz) shelled Shrimps
2 tablespoons desiccated coconut soaked in 2/3 cup (150 ml) 1/4 pt water
1/2 to 1 tablespoon curry powder
2 tbsp plain flour (All purpose)
squeeze of lemon juice
1. Melt the lard in a saucepan and fry the onions until golden brown. Remove them with a slotted spoon.
2. Add the tomato, garlic, salt, pepper and Shrimps to the pan and cook gently for 3 minutes.
3. Squeeze a little of the liquid from the coconut and mix with the curry powder and flour to form a paste.
4. Add to the pan with the rest of the coconut mixture and the onions. Bring to the boil, stirring, then simmer very , gently for 20 minutes.
5. Stir in the lemon juice and serve with boiled rice.
6. Note: This is a dry curry and the Shrimps should not float in liquid; however, if the mixture seems to be drying out too much during cooking, add a little hot stock or water.