This recipe is Vegetarian, Gluten free, Wheat free and Dairy free.
55 g (2 oz) 1/4 cup of Dairy free margarine
30 g (1 oz) scant 1/4 cup of Gluten free cornflour (cornstarch)
3 tablespoons of orange liqueur
310 ml (11 fl oz) 1 1/4 cups of the prepared apricot sauce
4 large free-range egg yolks Zest of 1/2 an orange
6 large free-range egg whites Caster (superfine) sugar and icing (confectioners') sugar for sprinkling
for the apricot sauce
255 g (9 oz) 1 1/4 cups of ready-to-eat dried, stoned (pitted) apricots
Sugar to taste
2 tablespoons of orange liqueur
Juice from 1 orange, and zest from 1/2 of it
1 1/2 litre (2 pint) 3 US pint souffle dish, greased with 30 g (1 oz) 2 tablespoons of Dairy free margarine and dusted with plenty of caster (superfine) sugar
Preheat the oven to 200°C (400°F) Gas mark 6
for the sauce.
1. Place the apricots in a saucepan with sugar to taste and add just enough water to cover them.
2. simmer until soft, then puree in a blender or pass through a sieve until smooth.
3. Add the orange liqueur, orange zest and the juice. Add as much water as is needed to make the sauce a good pouring consistency.
4. Measure 310 ml (11 fl oz) 1 1/3 cups of the sauce for the souffle and transfer the rest to a serving jug, cover and keep warm until needed.
to make the souffle.
1. Melt the margarine in a large saucepan over medium heat.
2. Stir in the cornflour (cornstarch) until blended and add 3 tablespoons of orange liqueur.
3. Gradually stir in the measured apricot sauce until the mixture boils. Remove from the heat and beat in the egg yolks and orange zest.
4. In a large bowl, beat the egg whites until stiff peaks form. Using a metal spoon, fold one tablespoon of the egg whites into the apricot mixture, blending in thoroughly.
5. Now, quickly but gently, fold in all the remaining egg whites. fill the prepared souffle dish with the mixture, make an indentation in the top if you wish, and dust with caster (superfine) sugar.
6. Bake immediately for about 35 - 45 minutes, or until firm on top and golden brown.
7. Sprinkle with sieved icing (confectioners') sugar and serve immediately with the accompanying sauce.
2 people have helped to review this recipe. Thankyou!