405 Calories per serving
1 lb (480g) minced beef
1 teaspoon vegetable oil
1 onion, chopped
1 tablespoon flour
1 tablespoon tomato puree
4 oz (120 g) carrots, diced
3 oz (90 g) peas (approximately 6 oz (180 g) when bought in the pods)
9 fl oz (270 ml) beef stock
6 oz (180 g) spinach
1 oz (30 g) Cheddar, Double Gloucester or Red Leicester cheese, grated
for the topping:
1 lb 2 oz (540 g) potatoes
4 tablespoons skimmed milk
1. Form the mince into small balls with dampened hands, place on a rack under a preheated grill and cook for 6 - 8 minutes, turning to brown all sides.
2. Heat the vegetable oil in a saucepan, add the onion and stir-fry for 3 - 4 minutes.
3. Remove from the heat and stir in the flour.
4. Crumble in the minced beef, stir the tomato puree, carrots, peas and stock into the saucepan and bring to the boil, stirring all the time.
5. Meanwhile wash and roughly chop the spinach, transfer to a saucepan; cover and cook over a moderate heat for about 4 minutes. Drain well.
6. Spoon half the mince mixture into a deep ovenproof dish, spread the spinach over the mince, sprinkle with the cheese and spoon the remaining mince on top.
7. Boil the potatoes in salted water. Drain and mash with the milk; season to taste with salt and pepper.
8. Spread the potato over the mince and roughen the surface with a fork.
9. Bake in a preheated oven, Gas Mark 5 (190°C) 375°F for 30 - 35 minutes until the potato has begun to turn golden brown.
7 people have helped to review this recipe. Thankyou!